Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Meditation

So, reading today in Celebration of Discipline is about meditation - comtemplative prayer. The goal is to put your mind and heart in a place where you can receive instruction from God - you are able to hear God's voice, and obey his word. "To pray is to descend with the mind into the heart, and there to stand before the face of the Lord, ever-present, all seeing, within you."

"Inward fellowship of this kind transforms the inner personality".

"The inner reality of the spiritual world is available to all who are willing to search for it."

"Human beings seem to have a perpetual tendency to have somebody else talk to God for them."

How do we receive the desire to hear his voice? "This desire to turn is a gift of grace. Anyone who imagines that he can simply begin meditating without praying for the desire and the grace to do so will soon give up."

2 comments:

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

I read Celebration of Discipline every year in January. I have done that for the last 15 or so years. It is a wonderful book. I am reading his other book Life with God right now - It has caused me to stop and think about how I read the word. Good stuff!

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

Did I cause you to stop blogging - I would hate that! I hope to read more of you this year from this venue.