Wednesday, June 18, 2008

FloMo has no Elvis in It

Flower Mound and Lewisville both have some great, easily accessible trails for bike riding. I've used one trail in Flower Mound to get from my house to Sprouts, Krogers and the FM Library. It's a beautiful trail, for as long as it lasts, but isn't used much by anyone other than kids going to and from school, and the occassional "down to business" walker or jogger. Unfortunately to get to the stores/library I have to ride a fair distance down 1171, on a small sidewalk, against traffic. Today I tried getting to Sprouts by taking Morriss Rd to see if it was any different. The first half of the ride was on a TINY sidewalk that is right next to the very busy street. The second half was on a wider sidewalk, but I had to cross Morriss at College to get to it. The southbound sidewalk ends just past College.

The bottom line : Seemed like it took just as long to get to Sprouts on Morriss, and I was riding with lots of cars/noise/junk in the air. I'll stay with the bike trail and the ride up 1171.

I came back up to College, turned on Timbercreek and picked up the trail that goes east though Lewisville.

This trail is a really nice one that follows a creek for a good part of it. I followed this trail as far as I could, and still didn't get to the end. I saw people walking dogs, people out walking with their kids, people who stopped to chat with other people. I saw plenty of curb your dog signs and supplies for clean up. I saw people running, frisbee golfers, people riding bikes in street clothes rather than their Lance Armstrong costumes, people who stopped to watch the birds ... In general, L'ville seemed to have an abundance (and variety) of people out enjoying a weekday morning with no agenda. Kind of a city feel in what I still think of as a town - a large one - but still a town...

No comments: