Saturday, May 10, 2008

Breakfast Date

During a class recently, one woman made the comment that men have a hard time building relationships, and that whenever her husband had an opportunity to go do something with the guys, she encouraged him to go. She also said that women usually have a lot of friends - and make friends more easily and have that support network that men don't have with each other.

I agree with this, and didn't think about it much after that. Recently however it occurred to me... I have several women that I consider close friends, but how close are they? When I need to talk to someone, I talk to my husband. When I need advice? Husband. In times of crisis or stress? Husband. I guess my point is, that although I have more "friends" than my husband does, these relationships are pretty 2 dimensional. There's the school moms, the baseball moms, the neighborhood moms, the church moms. These moms are friends, but not really "let's go get a cup of coffee and just talk" friends.

So, I emailed a school mom who I consider to be closer than most, and invited her to get coffee. I think her fear at first was "Uh-oh. Something is wrong." Happily, she agreed to take the time to meet me! We wound up having breakfast in Bartonville at Andrews (yummy !) and as an added bonus, discovered the Bartonville Farmers Market. I scored some homemade pasta, fresh tomatoes and onions. But truly the best part, was just spending time together intentionally rather than just chatting in the car line.

My life easily slips into a habit of insignificant words, actions, activities. Living intentionally is something I need to work on - not just in friendships, but as a parent, in my marriage, with my health, with my work...

No comments: