Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Trying not to hover.

Got a call from someone at LSU yesterday trying to get in touch with DD#3 who is on campus now at orientation.

(girl) : "Is A. there?"
(me): "No, she is on campus. Did you try calling her cell phone?"
(girl): "Yes, but she didn't answer".
(me): "Ok, I'll try calling her and let her know you are trying to get in touch with her".

(I said this knowing that she probably isn't going to answer me either).

I call - her cell goes directly to voice mail. I tried again, several times over the next 6 hours (by now, it's evening). No response.

This, I realized, is a frustrating feeling when your child is somewhere in your small slice of suburbia. It's kind of frightening when she's on a college campus 8 hours away and you realize that if you really, reeeeeally needed to get in touch with her, there is not other number to call but her cell.

About 11 pm, she calls. "Sorry, they won't let us use our phones during orientation".

Hmmm. That never stopped them from using it during class in high school!

2 comments:

cookiehawk77 said...

I hope that didn't take too many years off your life! I'm glad she's fine!

Schweers' Mom said...

Oh that is so frightening! I know what you mean. We had the same problem with Grayson when he was at "rock school" at UNT a couple weeks ago. They made them keep their phones in the room, so he was totally incommunicado all day. It was freaky - especially given that he's only 13.