Sunday, April 27, 2008

$3.50 per gallon? Are you Kidding me?

This bike sells at Walmart for $98.27. As of my last visit to the gas pump, 1 tank of gas costs me approximately $80.

I bought the bike.

I forgot how much I like to ride a bike, and this one is really comfortable. Cushy seat and the rider sits fairly upright instead of with all the weight on the arms. The boy and I have ridden to baseball practice, to the library, and on several bike trails we found around town. I only wish the bike trails were completely linked. Although we made it to the library, we had to cross 2499, ride down Rippy and cross 1171. The places where the crossing lights are in place, we have no trouble - like at 407 and Briarhill Blvd. Where there is no light, it's definitely a bit hairy. This summer, I will try to ride rather than drive as much as I can. Grocery, bank, library, park...

I always carry a paper with emergency information, but I was reminded last week of another biking fact the hard way - always have a spare inner tube and tire pump. Last week we went to practice, and I found a route to the nearby Kroger to pick up some things. On the way back - back tire was flat as could be - ran over a broken bottle on the way to practice. I stopped at Goodyear where they pumped the tire back up for me, and chatted about gas prices. Made it back to practice, but when it was time to go, the tire was flat again. Had to push the bike home, and carry Jamie's bat bag and my groceries as well! Doh! My knees definitely paid the price! My darling hubby fixed the tire the next day, and fitted my bike with a tire pump.

No comments: